Babar Haq

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I think for days about how to write about an event which occured and is worth mentioning on the blog.After all that thinking, laziness overcomes and I wait for next such event:).

Muneer (Singapore friend) named this laziness of mine as "inertia" :) last time I went holidaying at his place. I left Singapore in 1995 October after living there for six years and spending one of the most thriving teens one can have. I did my O'levels from "Balestier Hill Technical School" in 1992 and A'levels from "St. Andrew's Junior College" in 1994. During this time I made some real good friends. I made an effort to stay in touch with them. Internet made this effortless. Su Liang(Jonathan) a friend from my O'levels group came to karachi and gave me a call. I was in islamabad those days and could not fly to karachi to see him. While talking on the phone he told me Wee Tat(Jack) another O'levels group friend was getting married soon. So I told him that please let me know about the dates well in advance so that I can try to make it. It was just one of those things you say without giving it a thought. A few months later I had an email from him announcing his wedding date. I was working in comcept those days and definitely could not afford it though I had around 15 holidays to avail. My Olevels group(5 of them) pulled in money to get me my air ticket. It was lovely. I got Kasiviswanathan (Alevels friend) to do the visa stuff for me:). Yes, eventually after 10 years I flew to Singapore to attend my friends wedding.
There are zillions of details about that trip but would not want to bore anyone with them.The simple conclusion was that good friends is one of the biggest blessing of God. I stayed in Singapore for two weeks and Munner(another Alevels friend) for all this time took a leave from his work to keep me company. I also stayed at his place for this period of time and enjoyed remarkable hospitality from him and his wife. They have a lovely daughter (mashAllah) may God bless her by the name of Xiena.

The reason for this post is that I have an anonymous message saying that I havent posted for two months. Hmmm so people do read this. The reason for not posting once again was that I was back in Islamabad,Pakistan with my family and friends. This time I flew to Saudi Arabia with a proper work visa ...yup a work visa of a labour:). Reason being my company could not get me an engineer visa. Saudi arabia is a weird place, you dont just come here on a work visa. You come here on a work visa plus your profession and that profession decides what level of services you can avail.During my work visa medical checkup in Pakistan I also discovered that I am diabetic. Something I have to live with for the rest of my life.

I am in Saudi arabia now and staying in a one room furnished apartment. My company is trying to get my visa converted to an engineer one so that I can get my wife here. Since all my documents are not with me I am not going to office these days. That also means that for the past one week I have been stuck in this apartment. At times I really get frusrated, come on sometimes its days before I get to have a good conversation with some one. I don't really feel like making friends now I just want to hold on to all my old ones. I sleep at around fajr (4 in the morning) and get up at 12 noon. I wish I could just hybernate so all this time would pass.

Saudi Arabia has disappointed me terribly. Muslims normally look up to them since they are the guardians of ka'ba. These people are biased, rude, arrogant and corrupt. I will elaborate on this some other time cause I am too tired to continue writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home